WNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
No Result
View All Result
WNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Prosecutors deny violating Luigi Mangione’s health privacy rights

August 9, 2025
in News
Yahoo news home
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Prosecutors in the state case against Luigi Mangione denied on Friday violating the medical privacy rights of the accused UnitedHealthcare CEO killer, as his attorneys alleged, arguing they sought nothing more than “entirely unremarkable” information from his health insurer.

The defense accused prosecutors with the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office of violating Mangione’s rights protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act when they subpoenaed Aetna for information and “partially reviewed confidential, private, protected documents.” The defense sought to suppress the information.

MORE: Luigi Mangione attorneys seek dismissal of state murder case

The district attorney’s office said in a filing on Friday that there was nothing “secretive or nefarious” about a subpoena that sought “entirely unremarkable” information like Mangione’s account number and time period of coverage.

In response, Aetna turned over more information than prosecutors requested, prosecutors said.

“Given these circumstances, defendant’s real complaint is not about the subpoena itself, but about Aetna’s response to the subpoena, which included documents that the People had not requested,” Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann said. “The People issued a valid subpoena to Aetna for an appropriately limited set of relevant information. Through no fault of the People, Aetna seemingly provided materials outside the scope of the subpoena. The People then properly identified the error and notified the Court and the defense and deleted our copy of said materials.”

The defense compounded Aetna’s mistake by sending prosecutors an email attaching the entire Aetna file that prosecutors had already deleted, Seidemann said.

“The defense nonetheless seeks to punish the People for the administrative mistakes of others, claiming that the People have perpetrated a ‘lie and a fraud’ against defendant — an inflammatory and dubious accusation without any basis,” Seidemann said.

MORE: Luigi Mangione pleads not guilty to federal charges in CEO killing

Prosecutors urged the judge to grant no relief to Mangione and instead set a date for trial.

Mangione has pleaded not guilty to state charges alleging he murdered United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson outside the Midtown hotel where the executive was about to attend an investor conference last year. Mangione has also pleaded not guilty to federal charges that could result in the death penalty.

The post Prosecutors deny violating Luigi Mangione’s health privacy rights appeared first on ABC News.

Tags: ABC NewsAetnaLuigi MangioneManhattan District Attorney's OfficeProsecutorsYahooYahoo News
Share196Tweet123Share
Cook Scrutiny Builds After Criminal Referral Over Third Mortgage
News

Cook Scrutiny Builds After Criminal Referral Over Third Mortgage

August 29, 2025

(Bloomberg) — Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Bill Pulte sent a new criminal referral against Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook, ...

Read more
News

Delta to pay $78.75 million to resolve fuel dump lawsuit

August 28, 2025
News

RFK Jr. Says CDC Needs to More Closely Align With Trump’s Agenda

August 28, 2025
News

US tariffs on Brazil will reshape global beef trade flows, analysts say

August 28, 2025
News

Trump Team Weighing Options to Extend Influence to Fed Banks

August 27, 2025
Trump Threatens NBC, ABC Licenses Over News Coverage

Trump Threatens NBC, ABC Licenses Over News Coverage

August 25, 2025
BOJ’s Ueda expects tightening job market to push up wages

BOJ’s Ueda expects tightening job market to push up wages

August 23, 2025
18 months after becoming the first human implanted with Elon Musk’s brain chip, Neuralink ‘Participant 1’ Noland Arbaugh says his whole life has changed

18 months after becoming the first human implanted with Elon Musk’s brain chip, Neuralink ‘Participant 1’ Noland Arbaugh says his whole life has changed

August 23, 2025

© 2025 WNyuz.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech

© 2025 WNyuz.com