WNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech
No Result
View All Result
WNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Gavin Newsom Suggests That “Maybe It’s Time” To Cut Off California’s Share Of Federal Taxes Amid Report That Trump Seeks To Cancel State Grants

June 6, 2025
in News
Yahoo news home
491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

UPDATED, with White House statement: California Governor Gavin Newsom fired back at Donald Trump after CNN reported that the administration was seeking to cut off federal money to the state.

“Californians pay the bills for the federal government. We pay over $80 BILLION more in taxes than we get back. Maybe it’s time to cut that off, @realDonaldTrump,” Newsom wrote on X.

More from Deadline

CNN reported that Trump was preparing for a “large-scale” cancellation of federal funding for the state, with agencies being told to identify grants it can withhold. That would include federal money going to the state universities.

A White House spokesperson, Kush Desai, said in a statement, “No taxpayer should be forced to fund the demise of our country, and that’s what California is doing through its lunatic anti-energy, soft-on-crime, pro-child mutilation, and pro-sanctuary policies. The Trump administration is committed to ending this nightmare and restoring the California Dream. No final decisions, however, on any potential future action by the Administration have been made, and any discussion suggesting otherwise should be considered pure speculation.”

The heavily Democratic California has long been a target for Trump. Just before he returned to office, GOP lawmakers suggested that conditions would be placed on federal disaster aid to respond to the devastating wildfires. In the aftermath, Newsom and Trump appeared to make nice during the president’s visit to survey the devastation.

But in the months since then, Newsom has led a lawsuit against the administration over its tariff policies, which threaten to have a major impact on the state, a leader in global trade.

Last month, the Trump administration cut flood prevention projects in the state. Trump also threatened to hold back federal funding if the state did not address transgender athletes participation in a women’s sporting event. “Please be hereby advised that large scale Federal Funding will be held back, maybe permanently, if the Executive Order on this subject matter is not adhered to,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Best of Deadline

Sign up for Deadline’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

The post Gavin Newsom Suggests That “Maybe It’s Time” To Cut Off California’s Share Of Federal Taxes Amid Report That Trump Seeks To Cancel State Grants appeared first on Deadline.

Tags: administrationCalifornia GovernorDeadlineDonald TrumpFederal fundingGavin Newsomthe federal governmentWhite HouseWhite House spokespersonYahooYahoo News
Share196Tweet123Share
Cook Scrutiny Builds After Criminal Referral Over Third Mortgage
News

Cook Scrutiny Builds After Criminal Referral Over Third Mortgage

August 29, 2025

(Bloomberg) — Federal Housing Finance Agency Director Bill Pulte sent a new criminal referral against Federal Reserve Governor Lisa Cook, ...

Read more
News

Delta to pay $78.75 million to resolve fuel dump lawsuit

August 28, 2025
News

RFK Jr. Says CDC Needs to More Closely Align With Trump’s Agenda

August 28, 2025
News

US tariffs on Brazil will reshape global beef trade flows, analysts say

August 28, 2025
News

Trump Team Weighing Options to Extend Influence to Fed Banks

August 27, 2025
Trump Threatens NBC, ABC Licenses Over News Coverage

Trump Threatens NBC, ABC Licenses Over News Coverage

August 25, 2025
BOJ’s Ueda expects tightening job market to push up wages

BOJ’s Ueda expects tightening job market to push up wages

August 23, 2025
18 months after becoming the first human implanted with Elon Musk’s brain chip, Neuralink ‘Participant 1’ Noland Arbaugh says his whole life has changed

18 months after becoming the first human implanted with Elon Musk’s brain chip, Neuralink ‘Participant 1’ Noland Arbaugh says his whole life has changed

August 23, 2025

© 2025 WNyuz.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • World
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Tech

© 2025 WNyuz.com